ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Refunds

Re: Refunds

K S Swigart (katswig@deltanet.com)
Tue, 27 May 1997 09:15:43 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 27 May 1997 RUN4BEAR@aol.com wrote:

> I still say, they have had the benefit of a vet looking at their horse (and
> still do), having a camping spot and use of facilites, etc. 1/2 refund.

I am probably a little more hard nosed than this. I am of the opinion
that once the horse is vetted in and passes the pre-ride vet check, the
horse and rider are presumed to have started the ride.

I already think that most rides have VERY liberal refund policies if you
choose not to start, to expect the ride to refund fees AFTER you have
vetted in is, I think, a bit much.

I am not a ride manager; I am only a rider. I would never dream of asking
for a refund after I had vetted in my horse. If something happens between
night and morning that preculdes me from going out on the trail, I figure
that that's my tough luck.

I have always simply assumed that this was the case (as many ride entry
forms that I have gotten have stated "checks not cashed until horse is
vetted in."

I'll have to look to see if the AERC has a rule about this (i.e. when is a
horse considered to have "started" a ride, and therefore, if it does not
finish--even if that means never going out on the trail--it is counted as
a non-completion).

kat
Orange County, Calif.