ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Thumps and the cause/treatment...

Re: Thumps and the cause/treatment...

Kim (Aliakey@geocities.com)
Tue, 20 May 1997 13:34:04 -0700

On Mon, 19 May 1997 18:39:28 -0700, Dabney B. Finch"
<dbflaw@alphainfo.com> wrote:

> Does anyone out there know how to prevent thumps? We're tried no alfalfa,
> electrolytes, no electrolytes, free choice electrolytes--nothing seems to
> make any difference! Help!

Thumps (or Synchonous Diaphragmatic Flutter) may be caused by a need for
electrolyte replenishment (primarily potassium), which you have already
tried. However, thumps also occurs when there is a deficiency of
calcium in the blood. There is debate on whether high calcium feeds
(such as alfalfa) should be avoided, as research has also indicated that
excess calcium will contribute to this condition. Moderation is the
key... if you do not have the resources to determine the Ca content of
your horse's diet, send me the type of feed(s), weight fed each day, and
stage of maturity of the hay and I'll e-mail you the "projected" results
based on NRC findings. It would be more accurate with an actual
analysis of your hay, etc... but unfortunately, we all just don't have
the labs we want ;-).

I have also listed other potential contributers to SDF below:

- Excess or deficiency of calcium.
- Scar tissue from pnuemonia or pleuritis may have caused alterations to
the phrenic nerve, which has the POTENTIAL to cause chronic SDF.
- Lasix (furosemide) administration (which is a drug usually used with
"bleeders" on the racetrack) may induce a loss of electrolytes, which
could result in thumps.
- Blister beetle ingestion.
- Some horses under stress or who are lactation may also develop thumps
due to the decrease in plasma calcium concentration.

A creatinine clearance test can determine if your horse's electrolyte
concentrations in the blood are off (samples taken from serum and
urine)... contact your vet to do this if you want.

If you need anymore info., send me email and I'll dig through my
"library" of research papers - I know I filed SDF somewhere ;->. Also
email me with your feed info. if needed.

Hope it helps!

Kim (and 'Lee)