ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: drinking water in trailer

Re: drinking water in trailer

tina hicks (hickst@puzzler.nichols.com)
Mon, 19 May 1997 11:16:46 -0500

At 08:28 AM 5/19/97 -0700, K S Swigart wrote:

>On Mon, 12 May 1997, Becky Huffman wrote:
>
>> why O why is there no way for a horse to have water available during a
>> trailer drive?
Am I the only one that thinks it's not life threatening for a horse (or
human or dog or whatever) to go without water for a few hours? I mean horses
do not drink continously while in the pasture or stall :-)), we manage to go
what, 8 hours, without water while we sleep at nite, dogs are crated for a
few hours at a time without water......

As long as you stop and offer them water periodically - every few hours or
when you stop for gas or whatever - they will be fine. if they won't drink
unload and let them graze - grass is a great way to get some water in them

I'd be more inclined to *wet the hay* as a source of some hydration in the
trailer than try to rig up a way for them to drink while travelling.

Tina