ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Herbal supplements

Re: Herbal supplements

Ruth Bourgeois (ruthb@tdsi.net)
Tue, 13 May 1997 12:56:03 -0500

Kimberly Henneman wrote:

> Implants are great and do work, but as a holistic vet, I wonder what the
> underlying problem is that makes her cycle so hard. I usually look at
> other things. The problem is that some of the herbs (dong quai) that really
> help probably wouldn't be allowed under AERC rules. Acupuncture can really
> help some of these mares. Just because she has the implant, don't stop
> looking for the cause and trying to treat it.
> Kim Henneman, DVM

Kim,
Please explain about the dong quai - why wouldn't it be allowed? Is this
something that would show up on drug tests?
I have a mare that was having problems when she started to cycle this
spring. After she had colic once and seemed to have tying up problems
(which we figured was more likely to be ovulation pains), I took her to
a vet who did accupunture on her. He suggested giving her dong quai
supplement, which I did also. She's done great, no further heat-related
problems, seems mellower and more content in general. I did a
competitive trail ride 2 weeks ago and was concerned about the drug
question for that, so quit giving it to her several days before the
ride, then resumed after.
Also, wondered about the dosage. What is correct? I originally purchased
Nature's Sunshine brand, FC with Dong Quai, which has in it red
raspberry leaves, ginger root, licorice root, black cohost root, queen
of the meadow herb, blessed thistle herb, and marshmellow root also. It
smelled a lot nicer and seemed to be sweeter than the just plain herb
that I bought at GNC. I wondered if one is better than the other. My
mare seems to like the stuff, doesn't hesitate to lick it up with her
oats. The brand I have now has 500 mg per capsule. I'm currently giving
her 3 per day.
Thanks for any info you can pass on!
Ruth