ridecamp@endurance.net: RE: Endurance Bloodlines

RE: Endurance Bloodlines

Mike Sofen (a-miksof@MICROSOFT.com)
Tue, 13 May 1997 10:04:13 -0700

Ok, my .02 cents worth:

A Michael Johnson or Michael Jordan is not 'bred' for, they are a
unique(random) co-mingling of genetic traits. The same is true for the
horse world. The bulk of horsekind is composed of essentially average
horses - some above, some below, but still within the bell curve.
Statistical genetics requires this. Once in a great while, certain
genes will combine to produce an "out-of-curve" individual - an
exceptional, nearly one-of-a-kind individual who performs at a level
beyond his/her peers.

That individual's ability to pass on that unique genetic structure is
limited again by statistical genetics, so that the bulk of the offspring
from the individual will have some of but not all of the superior
characteristics. I'd expect Michael Jordan's offspring to be tall, but
will they have 'hang time?' Will they be able to do a 5' vertical leap?
Anyone placing bets? Of course not.

Very few of us will ever own or ride a superior horse (like a
Secretariat). What we can do is seek out those individuals that are at
the upper end of the bell curve and maximize their potential via
training and conditioning. Yes, finding the horse at the upper end of
the bell curve can involve examining their pedigree, but the proof is in
the pudding, not in the recipe, so to speak...

Mike Sofen
Redmond, WA