ridecamp@endurance.net: neckties

neckties

Diana L. Benson (dbenson@juno.com)
Tue, 13 May 1997 09:14:10 PST

On Tue, 13 May 1997 02:23:18 -0500 (CDT) sallijan snyder
<sallijan@ix.netcom.com> writes:
>This came to me from the Back Country Horsemen alert list. All
>West Region riders -- esp. in Nevada -- should read. If anyone has
>seen anything like this please report it!
>>On April 29, 1997, a US Forest Service employee observed a loose coil
>>of wire along a Forest Service road in Pine Creek Campground (Central
>>Nevada).
>>The wire extended up into the trees where it crossed the road at a
>>height of about 7'. The wire had been stretched tight and tied off
>>on each end. One end had been securely tied off to a rock (softball
>>size), to act as a weight. It was suspected that the rock was used to
>>toss the wire into the trees at the height they desired. At this
>>height, the wire will catch most horse riders at mid-chest to neck
>>height. Due to the nature of this injurious device and for future
>>references, we'll be calling these "wire neckties" from here on out.

Occasionally, in the deep woods in the Ozarks, dope growers stretch "trip
wires" across little used trails. It is either heavier wire designed to
actually trip the horse; or lighter wire attached either to a booby trap
of some sort for the rider/hiker or alarm system for the dope grower.
It's simply wise to ride with company when out in the wilds. I often
can't do that so I take care to stick to the main trails or at least,
stay aware of the ground as much as I can.

There was a "war" up in the Wisconsin area in the early 70's between
farmers and the (often inconsiderate) snowmobilers. Regrettably, some
farmers(?) stretched neck high wires in common use areas and several
snowmobilers were decapitated. Really. (I've also seen this done to
dirt bikers in our area. Though no one lost their head, I've seen necks
requiring stitches!)

Don't be afraid to ride, just be AWARE that there are hazards out there!

Diana Benson
Joplin MO