ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: To Tie or Not To Tie

Re: To Tie or Not To Tie

Bill Fortner (wfortner@peop.tds.net)
Fri, 09 May 1997 17:11:47 -0500

Joe Long wrote:

> Question: why didn't you just trailer him home without any headstall? I never
> tie Kahlil when he's in the trailer -- a method that may have saved his life
> when we had the wreck with the trailer rolling over (he flipped completely over
> inside the trailer, but emerged with only superficial injuries).

What is the consensus on tying the horse in the trailer? I always
thought that you should tie your horse in a trailer, but Joe brought up
a good point. RideCampers????

Dear Lauren,
I never tie my horses in the trailer. I have trailered them that way
for thousands of miles. They sometimes like to travel with their heads
lowered to the floor and they can't do that if they are tied. I have a
slant load trailer which eliminates being able to bite or kick and they
can't turn around or back out until I unlatch a divider. Different type
trailers may work best if the horses are tied (stock trailers, for
instance).

Dee Fortner and Cracker Jack
NE Alabama