ridecamp@endurance.net: RE: Trailer Woes/ Stability

RE: Trailer Woes/ Stability

Mike Sofen (a-miksof@MICROSOFT.com)
Fri, 9 May 1997 10:23:48 -0700

Oh, for a whiteboard on the internet...

You know those simple wooden train sets for kids? The kind with wooden
tracks and wooden cars connected with magnets? If you pull a train up
one of the hills all the cars stay on the track. But when you let the
train slide down the hill and hit a curve, many times the cars behind
the engine jump the track.

Why? The momentum of the cars cannot compensate for the change in
direction. They want to continue going straight, but the hitch is
telling them to turn.

I have seen more trailer accidents and near accidents than I care to
remember, most of which were caused by the trailer getting out of the
window of control of the vehicle that was towing it - the vehicle didn't
weight enough or was too short to re-stabilize the trailer after it
started moving.

The lever of side to side motion is far greater than the lever of the
distance from the hitch to the rear wheels. Think of how many
jackknifed rigs you've seen.

I've driven rigs with short trucks (Ford Ranger) and long trucks (Ford
F-250 SuperCab). There is no comparison in trailer stability. When a
big side gust of wind comes up, the F250 sits still, the Ranger moves a
lot. Part of it is the weight of the F250, part is the wheelbase.

I believe that the most important safety factor is the quality of the
braking system in the trailer. Just my opinion.

Mike