Subject: I
Author: ridecamp@endurance.net at smtp
Date: 5/7/97 3:49 AM

This is my first post so bear with me. I need some advise on an Anglo-Arab
(Secretariat/Aladdin granddaughter) I acquired (rescued) that I thought would
do well in endurance, given her energy and light build (15.1) and disposition.
However, she has a crack in the front hoof straight up through (I know) the
coronet band (she's only 4) and has closed with aggressive farrier care, but
the crack is there, not split any longer. The shoe stays on all the time and
as of yet she has only had one shoe for 7 months. She also has a pretty good
size splint on the front leg (same leg as the crack). She is difficult to keep
weight on, and looks "ribby". I have 4 other horses that look "awesome" and I
feed a great balanced diet. I researched her parents and learned Secretariat
always looked ribby. OK, if that's not enough, she is high-energy and rather
skittish. Not very trusting at this point and despite all my efforts, she
won't bond, although she trusts me, she can't stand still and she is very
"tense" .

I know if this mare had gone to a not-so-patient and kind owner (having turned
many scary horses around, she would be on some kid's construction paper (get
my point)?
Given all these things, is there hope? I can't see her as a quiet dressage,
western pleasure, hunt seat horse. Her mother (TB) was a world eventer. No
thanks and I'm sure you'll agree given her problems? Help me decide her fate.
Incidentally, she is the most beautiful steel-dapple gray I've seen and moves
like an Olympic Dream.

All help welcome-
Sleepless in Seattle-
Robyn