ridecamp@endurance.net: RE: trailer woes

RE: trailer woes

Mike Sofen (a-miksof@MICROSOFT.com)
Mon, 5 May 1997 11:14:21 -0700

<1B2056104081CF11914400805F68CC170432A162@RED-05-MSG.dns.microsoft.com>

Trailer electrical problems are most often caused by improper materials
and installation methods. If trailer owners (and manufacturers)
approached their electrical system from a naval (sea water) standpoint,
they'd discover a whole slew of techniques and technologies that: a)
last for nearly forever; b) are reliable; c) are maintainable; d) don't
cost too much.

The corrosion issues on boats are much more severe and have already been
addressed. Hints: use stainless (not brass) connections where
possible, use conductive silicon grease on every connection. When
making inline splices, solder them if possible, if not, use crimp
splices and cover the splice with mastic-lined heatshrink tubing.
Avoid using end splices. Mechanically secure connections so that stress
and vibration are eliminated.

The key is prevention of water/water vapor into the connection.

Mike