ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: SNAKES, how to prepare?

Re: SNAKES, how to prepare?

K S Swigart (katswig@deltanet.com)
Thu, 1 May 1997 08:43:22 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 30 Apr 2000, Lauren Horn wrote:

> Is this true? I had this belief that horses hated snakes, but a few
> weeks ago we came across a large king snake lazily crossing the trail. I
> was ready for a big reaction from my horse but didn't get anything, not
> even a curious look. I was surprised that she had no reaction at all.
>
> So Bob, if I come across a rattler, should I be ready for a different
> reaction?

My experience with horses and snakes.....

Horses couldn't care less about snakes. And I am not speaking from
limited experience. Snakes are RAMPANT around my place.

Out on the trail, every horse I have ever a) ridden and b) seen takes
absolutely no notice of the snakes (including the rattlesnakes). They
walk over them, they trot over them, they canter over them, they stand by
while I wait for them to slither off the path.

Imagine my surprise when we were walking down the trail and my horse put
his foot (literally) into the coils of a rattlesnake that was sunning
itself. I looked down over my horses shoulder to see his foot wrapped in
the coils of a petrified rattlesnake (who had his rattle going a 100 mph).

The horse simply did not care. Me, not being keen on continuing to walk
over the snake, backed up my horse. The snake, when it felt safe
slithered off into the brush and we proceeded down the trail.

I am unconcerned about the multitude of snakes out in my pasture as my
experience with rattlesnakes is that they are completely harmless if you
leave them alone and the horses have no interest in the snakes (and
therefore leave them alone). And I know they are out there. I have
removed three from my hay barn in the last 2 weeks.

kat
Orange County, Calif.