ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: 100 milers

Re: 100 milers

Tommy Crockett (tomydore@goblin.punk.net)
Wed, 30 Apr 1997 18:38:35 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 30 Apr 1997, Phil Gardner wrote:

> I too have wondered why so many people do 50's over 100's. Considering
> that going to a 100 costs about the same as going to a 50, it is a great
> way to cut your endurance ride expenses to do only 100's. Figure it out
> yourself, the cost per mile for doing 100's is just about half of that
> for doing 50's.

In terms of doing 100s. The mental preparation for both the horse and
rider is intense. At first, Rebel found another "wall" at about 75 miles.
Of course, it might be the mountainous West Coast landscape that makes
"us" feel that way. He got over it, but, for him, it's there. Again I
only speak for him, at least, it might not be species-wide. I found the
leap from 50s to ANYTHING greater difficult. Where 50s had been a breeze,
he found greater distances horrorific. It didn't take too long to get used
to it, but the first longer distance ride was no fun for him. Now he's
retired and loving it. I use him as a ponying horse and schooling 10-12
year old girls. From carrying a heavyweight to a life of almost leisure.

For the horse, though, he had more difficulty mentally preparing for
multi-day rides. Like, "what the heck do you mean I gotta go back out on
Sunday? It's my day off".

*******Just my two cents all standard disclaimers apply*******
****not the only method on earth just mine that's all****

Tommy Crockett, <tomydore@goblin.punk.net>
Los Osos, Ca. 93402-2715, USA
http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Trails/1079
"I ain't got no blood in my veins I just got them four
lanes of Hard Amarillo Highway" Terry Allen