ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Washoe Ride/Sports Saddles

Re: Washoe Ride/Sports Saddles

Joe Long (jlong@mti.net)
Wed, 30 Apr 1997 19:39:39 GMT

On Wed, 30 Apr 1997 08:16:19 -0700 (PDT), K S Swigart
<katswig@deltanet.com> wrote:

>If you aren't prepared to go alot further than 2 50's, you aren't =
prepared
>for 100.

>On the flip side, for my horse, this wasn't the case. He was much =
better
>prepred for 100's than I was...but then, he doesn't suffer in the same =
way
>I do from sleep deprivation.

>At the end of 50 miles, my horse is more tired than I am. At the end of
>100 miles, I am alot more tired than my horse.

A lot has to do with mental attitude and preparation -- and pacing. If
your focus is on 100 miles, you won't feel the same at the 50 mile point
as you do at the end of a 50. You and the horse will still be looking
ahead and ready to keep going.

The best advice I can give anyone doing their first 100 is to pace
conservatively. The last 20 miles of a 100 can be hell if you've used
up all the gas in the first 80. It can be heaven if you've got a horse
with plenty of go left, and you're feeling strong yourself.

I love the one-day 100's, they are by far my favorite distance. I think
they are more than twice the fun of a fifty. I like to say "Hey, when
you fifty milers are all done we're still out here having fun." =20

But it is true, "No matter how many fifties you've done before, one
hundred miles is a whole new game."

--=20

Joe Long
jlong@mti.net