ridecamp@endurance.net: A Moderated List - Not!

A Moderated List - Not!

wencel@foothill.net
Tue, 29 Apr 1997 13:12:52 -0700

Stephanie wrote:
> 1. Moderate the list (snip) If you don't like the postings or
> get tired of the bickering then just go away. This list represents
> a little snip of human nature - the real stuff - and I like it that way.

I'm with you on this, Stephanie. While I too get tired of listening
to arguing and badmouthing, I *can* scroll thru it. I was a subscriber
to a breed list where the list owner's policy was to "moderate" the list
with a heavy hand towards bias. He was censoring posts that he perceived
as critical re something he believed in (example, show ring training
practices)...whereas posters with similar philosophies as his were
allowed to ramble on to their hearts content. This left a *really*
bad taste in my mouth. I wouldn't envy the job
of a list owner moderating a list. I would hazard a
guess that most situations correct themselves over time and that those
which don't are an extreme minority. Other posters normally jump in
and "spank" the "bad poster". Even tho I don't do endurance racing, I
really enjoy this list and learn a lot. Keep up the good work; your
VOLUNTEER efforts are greatly appreciated!

Celenia