ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: white spot on back

Re: white spot on back

RUN4BEAR@aol.com
Mon, 28 Apr 1997 19:54:12 -0400 (EDT)

<< Karen,
You wrote:

>Teddy, I have to disagree with you here that the Sport Saddle is a
>"saddle with no support". If you have carefully looked at one, or
>talked to the manufacture, you will know it has two tree section,
>and that all the rigging connects to these two tree pieces inside
>the saddle. From what I have experienced, the combination of the
>weight in the body of the saddle, and the weight borne from the
>stirrups (putting pressure on the tree pieces), does an EXCELLENT
>job of distributing rider weight.

The SS works best if you are a light or middleweight rider. Heavy
weight riders' backsides really can cause pressure sores if they sit a
lot (walking, gaited horses, etc.) Standing does distribute the weight
to the two small areas in the cantle and pommel, but they don't have a
big surface area to distribute the weight - can get problems there, too.
Probably the best solution for a HW who really wants a SS is good
riding lessons so that they can be as light in the saddle as possible -
meaning that they distribute their weight as evenly as possible over as
much of the back as possible. If that doesn't work, it's time for "The
Great Saddle Hunt" all over again.

I'm a HW rider (and probably always will be). I tried the SS and found
that the horse developed a mildly tender back from the longer rides, so
it was not the saddle for us (or 3 of my HW rider friends). (BTW, I'm a
balanced, "light" rider with many years of classical dressage training,
so I'm sure that I wasn't off balance or bumping the horse. He was sore
directly under my seat bones!) Only HW in our area who is still using
one is a fellow who gets out of the saddle, the pommel/cantle are a very
good fit for his mare, and he rides FAST. He likes to finish early &
watch everyone come in. (Consistent top 10) He isn't on the back as
long as the "back of the pack" who finish more sedately.

You wrote (regarding Teddy's post):
>While I certainlyacknowledge you have the right to your opinion, thats all
it
>is-
>I disagree that it is a saddle with no support.

Also, just your opinion. Teddy sells saddles, so I'm sure that she has
more than just a passing acquaintance with the SS as well as quite a few
others. I'd put quite a bit of trust in her opinion. Yes, there is a
limited support system, but it really cannot be equated to the large
weight bearing surface areas on conventional saddles. I only know of a
very few HW riders on the East Coast using them for 50-100 mile rides
who have stuck by them. The LW & MW riders do ok once they get used to
the different feel of a SS. Like every other saddle out there, what
works for one horse/rider team won't work for others. I've changed my
style with each horse I rode!

You said it was working well for you on "multi-day conditioning rides
and fun rides", so I'm not sure how far you're travelling. Also, you
didn't mention your weight class. As I said earlier, I suspect that
will make a difference in your success with the saddle.

Linda Flemmer
Blue Wolf Ranch

I stick by my first statement...Sport Saddles CANNOT give support. Simple
physics in my book...just WHAT part is giving support???? If you sit in the
middle and the "support" parts are in front and in back of you..there is NO
way the rigging between can provide support!!! That does NOT mean they
cannot work for some people and some horses. I just means what I said..they
are NOT designed to provide support!!!

Teddy