ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: "Shattering Myths About Feeding", Equus, April 97 - LONG

Re: "Shattering Myths About Feeding", Equus, April 97 - LONG

lindavan.eqath@juno.com
Sun, 27 Apr 1997 14:12:57 PST

On Sat, 26 Apr 1997 20:10:56 -0400 (EDT) Tivers@aol.com writes:

><< Found the article to be pretty interesting as well, however, a few
> things still "bug" me about Pagan's information. Any ideas???
> Anyone???
>
> 1. "Bowel Ballast": I can understand why (in energy terms) you would
> rather have fats available to the horse rather than high fiber, lower
>ME
> roughages. However, I'm having trouble accepting the idea that
>"Twenty
> pounds of forage in [a horse's] gut is no different than a 20-pound
> weight around his waist" (Equus). A healthy, well-hydrated horse
>should
> also be carrying "extra weight around his waist" in the form of
>water.>>

Kim, I dismissed this philosophy when I read the article too. Hind gut
health is so important to success in endurance for completion alone--not
to mention the high placing horses--at endurance distances. I think the
authors must have been considering the endurance phase of 3-day Eventing
which is only about 15 miles at a little faster pace than we generally go
with fences added. I can see where ballast would get in the way in an
event like this. But they're done by the time our horses are just
getting warmed up. I don't see how actual Endurance horses would retain
hind gut health and adequate hydration for 50-100 miles if we started
them empty and kept them that way.

Are my assumptions true/false, Anyone?

>I can understand this point, although I don't agree with Joe on his
>support
>of fat and a large portion of the diet. What you really want is not a
>lot of
>bulk passing through the gut during the event itself. Better if that
>same
>"weight" has been incorporated into the tissues and is ready for
>use--your
>water, for example, as a part of expanded blood volume and increased
>muscle
>glycogen storage (2lbs of water for every pound of glycogen.) At the
>racetrack, we avoid feeding hay inc proximity to a race and do our
>best to
>give a strong enough warmup that we cause the horse to "empty out"
>before the
>race.

Tom, in the article they advocate a 10% fat diet. This is within the
range you recommend. Is this too high to feed pre-race. If so, when do
you back off on the fat?

Linda Van ceylon & crew
Burning, Sunny, Rabbit, & Fiddler
linda van.equate@juno.com