ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: white spot on back

Re: white spot on back

Tommy Crockett (tomydore@goblin.punk.net)
Sat, 26 Apr 1997 13:51:12 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 26 Apr 1997, Mary Watkins wrote:

> from a saddle with a tree to a sport saddle and a cool back pad. i am a
> heavy weight. the problem now is she still shows no signs of soreness
> but her back is turning white under the saddle where my butt would
> be???? has any one else had any problems like this with there treeless
> saddles?

I'm afraid it's a tale-tell sign of an improperly fitting saddle. The
white hairs are growing out of scar tissue.

I'm (with tack and water bottles) a heavyweight. 190 pounds soaking wet.
Sometimes have problems getting to 217 overall. I once looked at a sports
saddle and concluded as it is a bareback pad, stretching the strictest
sense of the word pretty far :) that I would be simply way too heavy for
it and my horse. He did have chronic back problems before John DiPietra
built a saddle for him. Before that I tried a Steve Gonzales, that
probably didn't fit him very well, a stubben endurance model with no gain
until I went to John's unique design. I do think the Sports Saddle is
probably a good piece of equipment for the right sized ridder, but have
misgivings about it's ability to carry an upper leval middleweight or a
heavyweight.

You might have to bite the bullet and go with an orthoflex or something
else designed to carry weight over a greater area. With optimum
distribution. All I know is that my horse loves John DiPietra, probably
sends him Christmas cards and thanks the heavens John decided to go in the
saddle business.

I could be wrong.

*******Just my two cents all standard disclaimers apply*******
****not the only method on earth just mine that's all****

Tommy Crockett, <tomydore@goblin.punk.net>
Los Osos, Ca. 93402-2715, USA
http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Trails/1079
"I ain't got no blood in my veins I just got them four
lanes of Hard Amarillo Highway" Terry Allen