ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: ridecamp-d Digest V97 #275

Re: ridecamp-d Digest V97 #275

Beth Glace (lb@nismat.org)
Thu, 24 Apr 1997 17:54:12 +0000

> From: ridecamp-d-request@endurance.net
> Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 12:35:53 -0700 (PDT)
> Subject: creatine
> To: ridecamp-d@endurance.net

> And why would creatine loading have no effect at all in
> > horses?
>
> Darn. I was going to ask you about whether you'd tried creatine
> in humans. May I ask at what dosage and what the loading protocol was?
> I'd like to show it to some people around here and see what their
> thoughts are. Creatine loading research in humans is moving so damn
> fast that you can hardly keep up with it and maybe there's something new
> that just popped up that could refine a protocol for horses.
>
> When you tried it, did you attempt any lab analysis of muscle fibers, or
> did you just observe overall performance? Would like to know.

Hi Susan,
Creatine loading is shown to be effective in humans but only for very
specific types of work, essentially for power athletes. Since
creatine is essential during very short term bouts of exercise, such
as lifting weights, it seems to allow those individuals who have the
lowest muscle levels of creatine to lift more during training and
therefore train more effectively. It has been shown to improve
strength and some sprint performances, but those sprinters are
involved in events lasting 10- 45 seconds. Perhaps no effect is
being seen in horses because a] their muscle levels are not low to
begin with? or b] because they are not generally being used in events
lasting less than 1 minute? or c] their training does not maximize
the CP system? Any further thoughts?
Beth Glace, M.S.
Sports Nutritionist
lb@nismat.org