ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Yacht cord reins

Re: Yacht cord reins

Erika R Achberger (eachberg@sophia.smith.edu)
Mon, 21 Apr 1997 11:53:26 -0400 (EDT)

I know this probably isn't of great interest to most of you, just
added to the list yesterday, and I want to put in my two cents worth.
The shiny, synthetic rope you are talking about is of petrochemical
origin. I don't know if this matters to any of you, but I particularly
like the natural feel of hemp fibers. Now don't look away just yet! When
I say hemp many of you will immediately think of that splintery
copper-colored stuff called manila hemp. This is not what I am talking
about!!
True hemp is identical to linen by visual inspection, but is much
stronger and has a counter clockwise twist when wet whereas linen is
clockwise. At any rate it is very soft and beautiful and is not affected
by rain, sweat, or salt water, naturally mildew resistant.

What I have been able to find is a round braid in 3mm, 5mm and
6mm that I braid 3 or 4 strands of for reins, or using a 1/8" cord,
weaving 4 or 5 strands together. I LOVE THESE! I am thinking about
maybe going into a little entrepreneurial job making these, they are so
wonderful. And hemp is good for the environment, not the oil barons.

If anyone wants more info on hemp or where to get raw materials, books,
clothing etc, email me at: eachberg@sophia.smith.edu
Incidentally, Hemp seeds are highly nutritious and yummy for people and
horses, if we can get it legalized in Northamerica again we will have a
very cheap good source of food, fiber (paper and clothing, building
materials), oil (cars to paints to food to cosmetics). See you later,
Erika.
I have a grey arab gelding in case you're wondering about that end of it:)