Tracy Scheinkman
Misty Mountain Arabian Sport Horses
Tucson, AZ

RReceived: (from majordom@localhost) by fsr.com (8.8.2/8.7.3) id AAA23082; Sun, 20 Apr 1997 00:49:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: keithr@nocdc.bc.ca (Ann Hatfield)
To: <ridecamp@endurance.net>
Subject: Strong lead ropes
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 00:49:02 -0700

Rock and ice climbers discard their ropes after they have had several falls
on them or the outer covers abrade. Old ropes are not allowed to reused or
resold so many people cut them up. If you can persuade a climber that the
10 foot length you want is for tying up horses, not for climbing 10 foot
pitches, you can sometimes get lengths of rope for lead ropes. They are
tremendously strong and stretchy-good for pullers-I can unfortunately vouch
for this.

You can also by the rope new. It's pretty costly, I am no longer climbing
so I don't know how much per foot or metre. I believe the name of the
type of rope is still kernmantle. The lighter weight ones, down to cord
weight, are very useful for repairing gear, holding down corners of tarps
whose cheap poly' ropes have broken in the middle of the night rainstorm,
etc. The cord weight is called accessory cord. I usually carry some of it,
duct tape, matches, wire cutters, etc. in a cantle bag.

The rope (line in the yachting world) used for anchoring boats is very
strong, does
not care if it gets wet (!) and stretchy. It needs to be stretchy cus
despite anchoring your boat on a loong arc of line so the bobbing about of
your home for the night doesn't yank the anchor off the bottom, you need
stretchy line to take the inevitable stresses. Ask for anchor rode. It
comes in various diameters from slender to suitable for the Queen E. I
recall that it, too, is expensive. Not that anything in the yachting
world, and especially the world of classic wooden boats, was cheap- except
our copious quantities of labour.

Ann

eceived: (from majordom@localhost) by fsr.com (8.8.2/8.7.3) id AAA23064; Sun, 20 Apr 1997 00:49:51 -0700 (PDT)