ridecamp@endurance.net: Tom!:)

Tom!:)

Gwen Dluehosh (dluehosh@vt.edu)
Wed, 16 Apr 1997 00:16:50 +0600

Racehorses ARE different Tom! My stallion also pulled his adductor as well.
It showed up as a hip hop in the back, entirely my fault for not having him
properly prepared... He tracks nice and wide in the rear, so he just got
tired... You should have seen the massage therapist's face when I told her
she ought to take a look between the legs after she asserted she wouldn't
work on stallions! :)
this isn't BS at all.
Believe me- never believed in it either until I saw things like this
myself! Have you BEEn to an endurance ride? If not, I hereby invite you to
come to the Old Dominion Ride this June to see for yourself some of the
things that happen with these horses.
Saddling , teeth and even breast plates can cause problems at 30-40 miles
and even up to 80 miles that you have never conceived of... It's amazing.
The problem is that no one believes anything I say about it at the
racetrack. You are a man of change for better, that's why you have had to
fight so hard to get racehorse people to listen about bows and bucked shins-
now come try this stuff on for size...
Everyone at the track kept saying that my stallion was locking up in the
rear and tripping on his face at a gallop- well, he never does this on
trail- I was being advocated to cut his medial patellar ligament, blister
him, etc etc, and even down to gelding him. Well, it turns out all he needed
was more miles to toughten him up. I also think he may not have been shod
coreectly and was interfering with himself.
But I could never convince my trainer of that. I pulled him from the track.
Gwen
At 06:59 PM 4/15/97 -0400, you wrote:

><< >Well, now we're into the anecdotal, but, hey, I'm game. How did this top
> >notch endurance vet realign the left knee, pray tell. Some kind of surgery
>or
> >just a laying on of the hands? I've never seen a knee realigned.
> >

> There is nothing wrong with anecdotal. It is fairly key to building and
> testing intutition - good abstract intutition being key to good science.
> Anyway knee realignment seems to be a fairly standard in veterinary
> chiropractics. I had never heard of it before but this was one of the best
> in the country working on my horse - so I just listened and observed.
> Hell, I thought that I might even learn something!
> >>

>I was kidding about the anecdotal, since in our discussions of nutrition I
>was defending empirical evidence while everybody else was squealing "no
>evidence".
>
>I'd really love to know what the hell a chiropractor is doing when he says
>he's realigning the knee. That sounds about as preposterous as "repositioning
>the brain".
>In 22 years of dealing with the very nastiest of injuries I have never, ever,
>encountered a veterinarian, or any other person claiming to realign the knee.
>What did he do? What did you learn?
>
>ti

Gwen Dluehosh
Desert Storm Arabians