ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Nutrition for abused horse

Re: Nutrition for abused horse

Duncan Fletcher (dfletche@gte.net)
Mon, 14 Apr 1997 21:01:56 -0700

The increased feed efficiency may have nothing to do with parasites. In
reply to a recent letter in Equus criticizing the advice to take the horse
off the wormer (probably the letter you cited below), Dr. Mackay-Smith
indicated that Strongid-C has some other effect (besides anthelmetic) that
increases feed efficiency. Unfortunately, I have no other information on
this subject other than his published reply to a letter.

Duncan Fletcher
dfletche@gte.net

----------
> From: gerhardt <gerhardt@theriver.com>
> To: ETRAIL@aol.com; ridecamp@endurance.net
> Subject: Re: Nutrition for abused horse
> Date: Sunday, April 13, 1997 4:30 AM
>
> Laura,
>
> There was some discussion pro and con recently on ridecamp about what I
am
> about to suggest, and there are some people out there who will disagree
> with what I am about to tell you, at least on a long term basis. My best
> suggestion is to worm him with a broad spectrum paste wormer, ivermectin
is
> my wormer of choic, and the next day put him on a daily pelleted wormer.
> The brand name of the original product is Strongid C, by Pfizer, about
$55
> per pail, cost to feed about 50 cents per day. Since about last year
Pfizer