ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Dudley:his heels, stiffness & dentist

Re: Dudley:his heels, stiffness & dentist

Laney Humphrey (laneyh@mbay.net)
Thu, 10 Apr 1997 21:49:07 -0700

Tom wrote:

>Laney,
>
>Before chiropractor, dentist, farrier and MD should have been vet. You have
>no diagnosis. The only chance for cure at this point is to blunder into
>one--and then, you won't know what worked and what to do next time. What are
>this horse's CPK and SGOT numbers? Might as well get T3T4 while you're at it.
>What are his angles and toe lengths, front and back? Is he tying up? What
>does he weigh? Where does he palpate sore? Anybody near you have infrared
>thermography?
>
>First you have to know what's wrong. Then you can eliminate the cause while
>rehabilitating.
>
>ti

Tom - This is a reply to your 3 replys to my original 3 posts about my
horse, Dudley, and his experiences with chiropractic, shoeing, and
dentistry. If I gave the impression that he was "broken," i.e. unrideable,
it was unintentional. I am always searching for new knowledge, especially if
it helps me care for my horse so I set out to explore 2 alternative
therapies and also had a long talk with my farrier in order better
understand Dudley's particular conformation and the possible long term
problems associated with it.
From one who advocates the use of GNC products to carbo load horses
and riders, I'm surprised that you say I should first see a qualified vet.
I'm surprised for several reasons: 1. how do you know that I hadn't and just
hadn't mentioned it? 2. an equine chiropractor must first be a DVM and the
equine dentist we saw is also a DVM (Kerry Ridgway and Mitch Benson, both
legends in West Coast endurance circles) 3. are you a vet? your suggestion
that I should get Dudley's CPK, SGOT, and T3T4 values, hoof angles, weight,
tie up history, etc. sure make you sound like one.
Many of us in this group do you the favor of acknowledging your
expertise in exercise physiology of track race horses which you have gained
through thought, study and experimentation. Please return the favor and
assume that we, too, are interested in acquiring knowledge, information and
skills that will make us better horsepeople and riders - and that we have
the mental capacity to process what we learn.
Beware, hubris lurks, Laney