ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: saddle rubs

Re: saddle rubs

gerhardt (gerhardt@theriver.com)
Wed, 9 Apr 1997 15:25:43 -0700

I am a firm believer in wool pads. I have had no trouble with saddle rubs
since going to wool pads, that and having my horses' backs scanned to
ensure that the saddles fit them. There is a system out there in various
places, including Phoenix, that consists of a pressure sensitive pad
originally developed for medical purposes, which is hooked to a computer
and a color monitor. You put the pad on the horse's back, and the saddle
over it, and the monitor displays colored areas showing a complete picture
of exactly how much pressure is on the horse's back from the saddle. I had
some horrendous saddle problems that were immediately fixed with that
machine telling me which saddles fit and which didn't. In fact, I had
started to order a custom saddle for one of my mares from Sharon Saare, and
cancelled it. She was put out with me, which suprised me since I had not
finalized my order, and I'm sorry, when the choice was a $75 scan that
resulted in being able to buy an off the rack saddle for $375 or spending
in excess of $1000 for a saddle, I opted for the former. I'd rather spend
the rest of my money on more horses (10 right now with 4 foals due any
minute). With a saddle that fits properly, only a thin wool pad has been
needed for any of my horses since then, and although I don't do the rides
you people do, I do often ride all day and I have not had any back soreness
problems or rubbing that I have been able to detect.

Annette