ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: my horse's visit to the dentist

Re: my horse's visit to the dentist

Lauren Horn (fourhorn@mail.fia.net)
Wed, 02 Apr 1997 21:16:07 -0800

Liz Henry wrote:

> I am curious as to the type of schooling equine dentist get. Administering
> anesthetics is a serious business, errors can kill a horse. Are they
> licensed in each state? Thanks. Liz

The equine dentists are not legally allowed to administer anesthetics; a
vet has to be on hand to anesthetize each horse seen by the dentist. The
last time the dentist was out, he did 5 horses and the vet hung around
for a few hours while this was being done. The vet charged me $20. and I
paid the dentist seperately.

I don't believe they are licensed in each state, but there are two
associations that certify vets. The schooling is intensive and much,
much more then a vet would get on teeth.

Lauren