ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Comments on feed supplements

Re: Comments on feed supplements

Susan F. Evans (suendavid@worldnet.att.net)
Wed, 02 Apr 1997 19:08:33 -0800

Tivers@aol.com wrote:

> Susan:
> << Including a number who not only attend ICEEP and AESM, but
> even present there. I'm included in the above list somewhere. >>

ti:
> You've attended or presented at ICEEP?

The entire statement was that there are numerous science-oriented people
on this list, and I include myself among those. However, yes, I have
co-authored work presented at ICEEP and been involved, though not always
authored, numerous other papers presented at assorted
conferences---American Physiological Society, more ICEEP, Journal of
Animal Science and Equine Nutrition and Physiology Society, all refereed
journals. I/we did some other work for NASA on muscle fiber atrophy,
but don't know what they did with the data we gave them, our funding
contract excluded publication.

I have no idea how "we" got onto the subject of comparing ICEEP to AESM,
but fine, I agree AESM is not as
reknowned as ICEEP. However, most AESM meetings the last several years
have been an hour's drive away from my home, and many of the same
physiologists that attend ICEEP also attend, and are available for
discussions and questions, at AESM. ICEEP, on the other hand is usually
in Europe, which on a grad student's meager budget is extremely
difficult to afford. It just so happens I did have the several
thousands it would have cost to attend, but instead I just bought the
proceedings and used most of the money to fund research on endurance
horses. Why? Because, sometimes, believe it or not, even academics get
curious about finding new and better information and go do something
about it. And, with all due respect for freedom of speech, they don't
deserve to named morons or clowns just because their conclusions don't
agree with yours.

Susan Evans