ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: high-low heel syndrome

Re: high-low heel syndrome

Duncan Fletcher (dfletche@gte.net)
Tue, 1 Apr 1997 18:31:43 -0800

This is at least some truth to this. Club foot can be (though not always)
genetic. One of the treatments is to cut the check ligament (at least in
younger horses). Now whether the check ligament is the cause or cutting it
is just a therapy independent of cause, I don't know. As to whether it is
getting worse, I do not have any idea.

Duncan Fletcher
dfletche@gte.net

----------
> From: Tivers@aol.com
> To: ridecamp@endurance.net
> Subject: Re: high-low heel syndrome
> Date: Tuesday, April 01, 1997 2:37 PM

> << Dudley got new shoes today and my farrier gave me a
> very detailed explanation of what he sees as the cause of Dudley's
> crookedness: high-low heel syndrome. In other words, his right front
heel is
> high and his left front heel is lower (normal). According to my farrier
it
> is a genetic problem which is getting worse in all breeds because
breeders
> are not breeding it out. It is caused by the check ligament in the
higher
> heeled leg being shorter than the comparable ligament in the other leg.
The
> problem gets worse as the horse ages but can be kept under control with
good
> farriery - i.e., trimming the high heel down just to the point where the
> horse "unloads" - can't get the heel down any further towards the
ground. >>

> Laney,
>
> Sounds like bullshit to me. Do we have a farrier in the group? If not,
Laney,