ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Older Endurance Horses

Re: Older Endurance Horses

BP&A (scuba@b022.aone.net.au)
Wed, 02 Apr 1997 11:47:16 +1000

Lauren Horn wrote:

> tina hicks wrote:
>
> > does anyone else find it interesting that the best endurance horses are
> > those with some age and mileage on them - not fresh youngsters?
>
> O.K. Regarding great endurance horses who have lasted into their middle
> and late teens - What age did these horses start their training for
> endurance? Anybody know???

My old endurance horse was purchased as a four year old and did some
trail riding for a couple of years until I "discovered" endurance
riding. He was a terrible trail horse but the time he spent doing that
legged him up for endurance which he loved.

I retired him in 1993 at 17 after over 5,000 klms and he started
competition in 1984. I think he placed in every ride he entered. I only
retired him as I had several youngsters who weren't being given a
chance. He was very miserable hanging around the paddock so we used him
for mustering. He didn't care as long as he was ridden and was given a
bit of feed. He is now rising 20 and about a month ago we needed a
spare horse for a young girl to do a training ride on (40klm - 25
miles). We trained him for three weeks and he did the training ride at
Easter, passing with flying colours!!! He came in in the minimum time
allowed and pulsed back to 40 on a very hot day. He looked great and he
was really happy. We now have a dilema about what to do with him now.

I feel that a lot depends on the horse's mental attitude. I know that
when I retire my mare she wouldn't care if she was never ridden again!

Anne