ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Comments on feed supplements

Re: Comments on feed supplements

tina hicks (hickst@puzzler.nichols.com)
Tue, 01 Apr 1997 11:07:47 -0600

At 10:59 AM 4/1/97 -0400, Truman Prevatt wrote:

>IMHO there are many, many factors (some of which are mentioned above) that
>go into making the top endurance horse. Until the horse has developed the
>necessary skills, the necessary base and has been trained to handle varying
>wether conditions, he is not going to be a consistent top horse like Rio or
>Cash. This process takes several years and until you get to this point,
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

========
does anyone else find it interesting that the best endurance horses are
those with some age and mileage on them - not fresh youngsters? At a time
when you would think other sport horses should be showing some major wear
and tear and slowing down a little is the time when experienced endurance
horses really begin to shine.

For instance how many 19 year old event horses are still going at a
comparable level to what Rio is doing in the endurance world. I know he is
an exceptional animal - but look at the others...the Morris' horses or Joe
Long's Kahlil or <pick your team> - animals that are not just going down
the trail but still going down it competitively with quite a few miles and
years of use on them.

A testimony to this base Trumann is referring to that encompasses not only
what it takes to get that extra 5 minutes but all other factors as well? Or
the natural toughness of these guys? Or a combination I suppose...

Tina - pondering deep thoughts and avoiding work very well thank you
hickst@nichols.com