ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: my horse's visit to the dentist

Re: my horse's visit to the dentist

K S Swigart (katswig@deltanet.com)
Tue, 1 Apr 1997 08:00:02 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 31 Mar 1997, Reynolds, Nikki wrote:

> Laney Humphrey wrote:
> > ... The moral of this long post is that dental care is really important...
>
> It's THE most important thing we can do for our horses to effectively
> extend the useful lives of our horses. Horses in the wild most often

That's a bit strong isn't it. I should imagine that providing food and
water come much higher on the list (since they will die within a few weeks
to a few days if these things are not provided).

Quite frankly, many horses go their entire lives (20-30 years) without
ever once having anybody do anything to their teeth (not that I am
advocating this).

If I had to choose between regular shoing and regular dentistry, I would
choose shoing.

If I had to choose between regular exercise and regular dentistry, I would
choose exercise.

If I had to choose between regular worming and regular dentristry, I would
choose worming.

In fact, if I had to choose between regular grooming and regular
dentistry, I would choose grooming.

So I have already come up with many more things that I consider more
important:

Good food, ample water, exercise, hoof care, worming, and grooming...

...not to mention proper schooling.

kat
Orange County, Calif.