ridecamp@endurance.net: Cyanide

Cyanide

Niccolai Murphy (niccom@aerostructures.com)
Fri, 21 Mar 1997 06:03:20 -0800

jakar@aiinc.com (Reynolds, Nikki ) wrote:
> You also mentioned
> cyanide and we have lots of that in the water here in the desert. So
> much in fact, that most of us in my area won't drink it. What should we
> be looking for as far as danger signals in our horses.

Someone more qualified will probably give you the details but bascally I
think it inhibits oxygenation of the blood. A interesting point is that
cynanide is present in a lot of stuff including apple seeds. So given
sufficient apples (say fallen apples under a tree after a very windy
day) it is possible for a horse to poison itself, if it doesn't colic or
founder first.

--
Nicco Murphy, San Diego County