ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: What consitutes an overly long pastern and should support boots be used?

Re: What consitutes an overly long pastern and should support boots be used?

Duncan Fletcher (dfletche@gte.net)
Thu, 20 Mar 1997 21:02:45 -0800

Weak and long are different things. Length would have to relate length of
long (or long and short) pastern bone to some other number (probably length
of cannon bone). If anyone has any numbers of that sort as to what is the
range of normalacy, and exactly how one measures without x-ray, I would be
interested.

Would the load on a racing trotter (given the speed, the fact that the
horse lands on two legs from total suspension, but lack of rider) be
greater than a gaited horse that lands on leg (with 1 or 2 legs already on
the ground) with rider at a working speed?

Duncan Fletcher
dfletche@gte.net