ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: MUSTANGS

Re: MUSTANGS

Tommy Crockett (tomydore@goblin.punk.net)
Thu, 20 Mar 1997 19:22:11 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 20 Mar 1997, Fred & Jan Canfield wrote:

> me in 90 days. I know he uses a round pen to work them and has 30 years
> experience which ofcourse counts for alot. When I get them I teach them
> ground manners, and put the polish on them and use alot of the TTEAM work
> (modified by my understanding of it). I find one of the most important
> things in handling them is they need to know who the leader of our
> partnership is and if I'm willing to be it they're willing to follow, but
> Donna Snyder-Smith

(edited for quotation purposes)

An excellent article. From an impeccable source. It should definately help
the desensitizing process in exposing the animal to many qualified people.
It stands to reason that a horse that is joined up with one person can
accept many others, given the opportunity.

I've never really considered TTEAM as a method with which to cure my
former feral's cinch shyness, but from what I've seen of the belly lifts,
for instance they seem to be most effective, properly applied. Also,
perhaps just the type of excercise that would seem to be right for my
problem. Perhaps I'll consult a practioner. Great point.

I'm still unwilling, just now to place mine in a hectic vet check
situation. She's calm, but I just don't have the confidence rather yet.
As she'll be 5 sometime this spring we have time.

I haven't yet experienced an inversion problem, but then again it's still
cool here on the coast of California. She's a black bay. I'll pay
attention to that facet.

Tommy Crockett <tomydore@goblin.punk.net>
Los Osos, Ca. 93402-2715
"He asked me, why do you ride for your money?
why do you rope for short pay?"
Michael Burton, Gopher Music, BMI
http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Trails/1079