ridecamp@endurance.net: RE: should support boots be used?

RE: should support boots be used?

Tommy Crockett (tomydore@goblin.punk.net)
Tue, 18 Mar 1997 09:24:11 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 18 Mar 1997, Connie Hoge wrote:

> few miles to show up - but not good. Also, some weeds with sharp things - get
> stuck in the boot, & worked in. Hours of picking out.
> I've read somewhere, & our Vet says during competition not to use them. Heat
> builds up, dirt gets in etc. If at all, he recommends putting them on the
> last loop of a ride, when the horse is getting tired, & can use the extra
> support & protection.

Mike Tomlinson has pointed out to me, at a ride no less, that SMBs
shouldn't, probably be used for more then 25 miles max, due to the heat
caused blood to pool, as I recall. BTW, there are SMB "covers" that fit
over them and keeps plant material, like foxtails from becoming embedded
in the things.

Tommy Crockett <tomydore@goblin.punk.net>
Los Osos, Ca. 93402-2715
"He asked me, why do you ride for your money?
why do you rope for short pay?"
Michael Burton, Gopher Music, BMI
http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Trails/1079