ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Reduced feed intake

Re: Reduced feed intake

Joe Long (jlong@mti.net)
Mon, 17 Mar 1997 17:35:42 GMT

On Mon, 17 Mar 1997 10:25:20 -0500, you wrote:

>Hello everyone,
>Has anyone had their horses back off their feed after a 50 miler even
>though their horse is having an excellent attitude after the rides?

This is something you are right to be concerned about, and I'd suggest talking
with your vet. Endurance horses use a lot of stored energy reserves on a ride,
and need to replenish them. Kahlil was always ravenous for a day or two
following a ride, especially a tough ride. He got an extra grain ration for
those two days (2x Sunday, 1.5x Monday, back to normal Tuesday).

--

Joe Long jlong@mti.net http://www.mti.net Business http://www.rnbw.com Personal