ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Dear Truman;

Re: Dear Truman;

Susan F. Evans (suendavid@worldnet.att.net)
Fri, 14 Mar 1997 20:08:32 -0800

Jude Hall wrote:

> Susan Evans wrote: (lots of stuff snipped to save space...)
>
> >I just wanted to throw in a comment of how TWH are viewed out here in So
> >Cal, which backs up Truman's comments (and others). Until a few years
> >ago, the "big lick" horses were shown in the same shows as the
> >Saddlebreds, which I used to own and show. Unfortunately, the abuse was
> >so apparent and nobody seemed to care much---it was common to see TWHs
> >utterly exhausted (as in lathered, trembling and blowing like a
> >locomotive) after a fifteen minute class, (more snipping)
>
> I think this image stays in people's minds, which leads to an
> immediate reaction from most folks that TWH don't have good
> recoveries or can't go the distance.....

I wouldn't have very good recoveries either if I had that much weight
clamped onto my feet. I don't think the "big lick" horses are a very
good representation of the REAL TWH any more than (IMHO) a long-footed,
chin-to-the-chest Park horse is a representation of the real Arabian.
Though I admit I'm biased ;-) !

> (after more snipping)....
> >It seems to me that the examples that are going to do
> >the most for the breed in the public's eye aren't the show horses, it's
> >the people like Truman and Misty and the others doing CTR and endurance,
> >that are demonstrating that these horses can be ridden for more than
> >fifteen minutes without blowing them apart.
>
> Absolutely true! Truman has certainly helped me, and a lot of
> other people he doesn't even know about, as I tell other gaited
> horse owners of he and Misty's accomplishments!

Another good example is Abe Carson out here, he used to be in Lakeview
Terrace I think. Although I only knew him very indirectly, he and his
family own a number of walkers, show them regularly in the pleasure
classes, then Abe goes out and does search-and-rescue all day long on
the same horses, climbing up and down slopes that the other horses
can't/won't go. I also saw him and his daughter Amy riding in the
Rose Parade this year. Now, THAT's a selling point for a breed!

Susan

--------------79B61A7678E5--