ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Fashion and the market

Re: Fashion and the market

Linda H VanCeylon (lindavan.eqath@juno.com)
Thu, 13 Mar 1997 16:22:00 PST

On Thu, 13 Mar 1997 15:50:31 -0500 (EST) Hall@cc.denison.edu (Jude Hall)
writes:
>I recently logged on to a listserve called Runningwalk, consisting of
>gaited horse folks. When I introduced myself and indicated that I
>ride distance rides with my TWH, I received a half dozen replies from
>people around the country saying they had wanted to do the same, but
>that "gaited horses were not welcome"....
>
>There is, I think, a lot of prejudice pro-arab (once again, not
>insulting or flaming here), that the breed is the only one that
>can last/compete, etc. But then, how many people out there are
>really racing for the top spots?

Hi Jude,

I'm sorry those folks have that perception. I know that in our region,
(Eastern part of the Mountain Region) rider's of all breeds are welcomed
to endurance. At least by ride management and most of the seasoned
endurance riders, they are. (I don't know about CRT).

However, there are a few "hot shots" out there. Kind of the "Nuevo
Endurance Crowd", who think their Arabs are absolutely the only breed
for endurance. And, unfortunately, could be "coping an attitude" to
those folks riding other breeds. These folks tend to be around only for
a couple of 25 milers, then either you don't see them again, or they
become humbled in some way and move up to fifty milers. Usually, by
then, the "attitude" has gone away.

Conversely, we often have folks with non-Arabs come to a ride with a chip
on their shoulder. Intent on proving that their breed is better than
those Aaaarabs. They proceed to try a 25-miler at warp speed. Get
pulled at the first or second Vet Check. Then blame the ride management
and Vets for being prejudiced against any breed other than Arabs. ("He
would have recovered to criteria if given another 30 minutes", they
spout between profanities). Then they throw Dobbin in the trailer and
off they go in a cloud of dust, never to be seen again. But, through
the grape-vine you hear they've told all the other owners of Breed-X, that Endurance is prejudiced in favor of Aaaarabs.

The two scenarios related above, I've seen repeatedly for many years.
Please take these scenarios as just that. Just trying to show how these
ideas get started, IMO.

It's all a matter of confidence and experience. The overconfident Arab
rider needs to be somewhat humbled by experience, in order not to "cop
an attitude" and offend the inexperienced non-Arab rider. The
inexperienced non-Arab rider needs to come to a ride with the intent of
"riding his own ride", as the endurance expression goes. If this is his
goal, he will not be intimidated by the Arab rider with an "attitude",
nor will he himself "cop-an-attitude" and be set up for failure.

I suggest that anyone who rides any breed of horse, go to a clinic on
endurance or volunteer to help at an endurance ride before undertaking a
competition. Then you learn the rules and become familiar with the
culture. You also could meet a mentor or two.

Linda VanCeylon & crew
Buhni, Sunny, Rabbit, & Fiddler
lindavan.eqath@juno.com