ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: After-ride management?

Re: After-ride management?

Linda H VanCeylon (lindavan.eqath@juno.com)
Thu, 13 Mar 1997 15:24:16 PST

Hi Elise,

On Thu, 13 Mar 1997 18:03:59 GMT elise.dirlam@bbs.chemek.cc.or.us (Elise
Dirlam) writes:
>that although motivated to do their best, she has no intention of
>placing high expectations regarding times, etc. This will be her first
>outing of the season with a new horse. However, she would need to
>leave her horse with me immediately after the ride. From a "horseman"
>point of view I have some management concerns.

Hopefully, your sister will treat this "competition" as a "training ride"
and not ride too fast. If this happens, your job should be relatively
easy. Just give him a few days off 3-4 (a whole week wouldn't hurt).
Then just ride him 3 x per week to keep his conditioning. (If she does
ride too fast, you may have health management to deal with).

> The horse will be coming from a desert environment and into a
>lush
>forage area. Obviously, I can't just dump him out to pasture with no
>thought of his prior conditioning schedule, environment, etc.

This will be a concern b/c you run the risk of possible founder/colic if
your plunge him into that lush environment unprepaired. But not too
difficult to handle. Just let him out on grass for 1 hour the first
couple days, then 2hours for days 3-4, and 3 hours for days 5-6 and so
on. If not possible, then just try for 1-2 hour per day of turn out on
the pasture.

If those scenarios are not feasable, what next best alternatives can you
suggest? Let's discuss.

LindaVan