ridecamp@endurance.net: Fwd: gaited horses-a question?

Fwd: gaited horses-a question?

CACrescent@aol.com
Wed, 12 Mar 1997 09:49:31 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 97-03-12 08:20:23 EST, Turnback C writes:

<< In all gaited breeds, some specimens just have more natural gait than
others. Initial training in setting the gait can be a factor, too. Setting
the gait has different meanings dependent upon the speaker. Generally, it
involves correct collection , leg pressure and just keeping the horse in that
gait during training, i.e. not letting horse lope or canter until gait is
set. With a horse with lots of natural gait, it t'ain't no big
thing.....involves gaiting horse for first season--no running.

All gaited horses start off rear. Foxtrot is diagonal movement, left rear,
right front, etc. Running walk and Paso Fino gaits are lateral. Foxtrot
was not intended to be fast gait...just halter up your mules, ride 10-15
miles to town, sell them mules and get home in same day. Running walk is
usually faster gait than foxtrot. Some Foxtrotters do both a foxtrot and a
running walk,

Personal preference is Paso Finos. Am not aware of any suspensory ligament
problems. There are three gaits, Classic Fino, paso corte, and paso largo,
major difference is degree of collection and speed. Classic Fino is highly
collected with little forward movement. Most serious Paso breeders believe
the Classic Fino is key to preservation of gait as genetic pattern so want
Classic Fino stallions. Obviously it just isn't a trail gait...just for
Spanish grandees to court the ladies. Big horse riders bad mouth Pasos...us
horse people are bad about badmouthing all breeds except our own.

Look at individuals in any breed. I saw a wonderful Rocky Mountain stallion
doing the singlefoot...was chocolate sorrel with flaxen mane and tail. Back
to gaits....after division into lateral and diagonal, the basic difference
is variations in the beat as all are broken into four parts. Ride good
individuals in each breed...to find your druthers. Gail ..a pleasure rider.

Gail Gartside President of the Missouri Equine Council, dedicated trail
advocate and breeder of Paso Finos