ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Gaited Breeds

Re: Gaited Breeds

Duncan Fletcher (dfletche@gte.net)
Tue, 11 Mar 1997 23:09:11 -0800

The Peruvian (particularly certain bloodlines) are subject to the
possibility of degenerative suspensory ligament desmitis (DSLD). It is
(generally) a bilateral or quadrilateral degeneration of the suspensories
where abnormal tissue is laid down. The "eggbeater" gait sounds like the
classic fino of the American Paso Fino (very rapid footfall with
substantial understride). Stocking up (absent soreness of suspensories)
does not sound like DSLD. I am not sure what is meant by mule like feet.

Duncan Fletcher
dfletche@gte.net