ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: water sports

Re: water sports

Susan F. Evans (suendavid@worldnet.att.net)
Tue, 11 Mar 1997 12:32:05 -0800

Well, as long as we're going off into Water Stories---I used to ride
with a friend and one day she said she wanted to ride to the reservoir
to teach her horse Gulliver to go into water. I'm assuming she meant
like, to his knees or something...well, as soon as her horse laid eyes
on the water, he practically whooped, went into a whole series of To The
Moon and Back bucks, threw her off, RAN to the water, practically did a
swan dive in and spent the next fifteen minutes playing U-boat Commander
in the water---all we could see was a nose tip, two eyes and two perky
little ear tips like periscopes cruising back and forth. It looked like
a tiny submarine chasing a hippopotamus. I tried to get Mikey to go in
after him (we had visions of sitting there watching Submarine Races 'til
midnight) and of course Mikey freaked, staring at the world's smallest
bow wave and backing away from the Loch Ness Monster. Finally, Gulliver
decided he'd had enough of pretending to be a tuna fish, and came
happily trundling out. Took my friend about three weeks to dry out the
saddle and she swore it smelled like algae forever after, but what the
heck, beats having a horse afraid to go in the water.

Susan