ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Catoosa catastrophy?

Re: Catoosa catastrophy?

lindavan.eqath@juno.com
Mon, 10 Mar 1997 02:50:42 PST

There was a sanctioned endurance ride planned called Catoosa. Ride
management wanted to run a 25 mile ride in conjunction without vet
controll. Just a flat out race for $.

The group of riders and vets wanting to do the AERC sanctioned ride would
not have anything to do with this scenario. So, they packed up the
sanctioned part of the ride and moved it down the road a ways to a
different trail.

The unsanctioned 25 mile race went on as scheduled. Lots of folks just
pulled their horses off the pasture to tun for the $.

Seven horses died on the trail and were buried with backhoes where they
fell. The Humane Society got involved. It made national news. It was
ugly. They showed clips of the dead horses on the news, as the Humane
Society did thier investigation.

I heard through the grape vine that many horses died after they were
taken home from the race.

The whole thing was a really bad scene. The good thing for AERC was that
they pulled out ahead of time and held their race concurrently at another
location. So, we still have a sport. I feel nearly certain, that if
they had not made that good judgement call, our sport would have been
history right then.

I'm sure there are folks out there who know more details than I do.
Hopefully they will fill us in.

LindaVan