ridecamp@endurance.net: Gaited Arabians

Gaited Arabians

Susan Felker (felker@swva.net)
Mon, 10 Mar 1997 21:19:32 -0500

Patty wrote:

> I think the reason so many people ride Arabs for endurance is that there are
> so many on them around. There are breeders out there with horses to sell
> that are anxious to promote their breed as the "one and only".

There are more quarterhoses than Arabians--by far. Arabians have proven
successful as endurance horses, so people want them for endurance. It's
simple. Arabians do not make good plowhorses--a draft horse does a
better job. So what is the problem with promoting a breed of horses for
the job they do well? Everyone is free to chose the breed of their
preference for a mount. As everyone knows, some horses of many breeds
make wonderful endurance horses.

Some will
> even overtly ridicule those who choose another breed.I have been ridiculed for choosing an Arabian as a dressage horse. It
cuts all ways.

> The gaited breeds *are* more comfortable to ride, and I feel that as their
> numbers increase, and as the average age of riders increases, gaited horses
> will be seen on the endurance trails in increasing numbers. A gaited horse
> can allow riders with back and spinal cord injuries, cancer and other
> debilitating illnesses to enjoy endurance riding (and even endurance
> racing); and their easy-going disposition and sure-footedness is an asset
> for those for whom a fall could mean days or weeks in hospital, or worse.

Ever try a gaited Arabian? They do exist, the genes are there. The
Arabian stalllion Bazleyd was naturally gaited, and is one of the
foundation sires for the Tennessee Walker breed (So that's where
Truman's TWH got her brains <VBG>). The Crabbet stallion *Raseyn was
gaited, as was his son Ronek and his son, Alyf. Rabiyas, Rabab, and
Hajibabba likewise were gaited.

The endurance horse RT Muffin has the extra gait. Our stallion does as
well, (he has lines to *Raseyn and Bazleyd) and we are experimenting to
see if we can consciously breed it.

> It's a big world out there, with lots of trails and lots of riders. There
> is plenty of room for *all* breeds of horses and mules in our sport. Each
> has qualities that appeal to different needs and personalities of riders, so
> let's all enjoy each other's breed's beauty and uniqueness without prejudice
> and put-downs, eh?

I agree wholeheartedly.

Susan Felker
Black Ridge Arabians
(looking forward to those ambling rides on our stallion when we share
our old age)