ridecamp@endurance.net: RE: gaited horses

RE: gaited horses

Sullys Maze (Sully@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU)
Mon, 10 Mar 97 18:03:10 PST

From: Lauren Horn <fourhorn@mail.fia.net>

gerhardt wrote:

I have
> really wondered why more people are not flocking to the gaited horses
> generally and Mountain Horses specifically, rather than keep on riding
> horses that they have to stand in the saddle to get away from a body
> pounding trot, instead of a horse that they can sit on in comfort for both
> themselves and the horse.

> ----------

A few people, including John DiPietra (noted endurance rider) have gone
from arabs to the gaited breeds. John rides Missouri Fox Trotters and
races them at a walk and canter. If I'm not mistaken he did very well at
the 20 Mule Team.
Has anyone crossed a gaited horse to an Arab? What are your chances to
inherit the gait?

Lauren

--------
I'll throw in my two cents worth (when did I ever fail to do that!)

I currently have an Arab that does a pretty darn good imitation of a
running walk, and also an Arab/Walker cross. The Arab is more
surefooted, but is also a smaller horse. I do like aspects of my
Arab/TWH, mainly nice big bone, and a larger horse, since I am
about 6 ft. Her biggest drawback is her disposition, as she is one
of those mares with a perpetual scowl on her face, but she is quite
willing under saddle, though a bit unpredictable. One WALKER person
suggested perhaps she has inherited some walker bullheadedness.
She has a fast trot, and a very smooth slow canter. She WILL do
some sort of running walk, but it is very hard to keep her in it, so
I don't do it much! Personally, I am glad she trots! She is tough,
has never been sick or unsound. But, her recoveries are every bit
as low as my Arab.

Having owned a Foxtrotter, that I bought sight unseen based on her
age, size, and NATRC record, I must say it was one of my big horse
purchase mistakes. She was also the most I ever paid for a horse.
I came to discover that I really hated the fox trot! It was a lot
of work to keep her in it properly, and I disliked the motion
anyway. I realized then, that I really DO like the trot-it is a very
surefooted gait-something this mare definately wasn't!! AFter
struggling with some shoeing angles, she was sold back to the former
owner. This mare tripped on every rock on the trail and every place
that wasn't level. She fell completely down with me, throwing me
over her shoulder. I had also talked to a lot of gaited horse folks
(one who competes on a TWH-not Truman here), and he said that you
have to be really careful selecting a prospect, because HE had seen
a lot of stumblebums, and went through quite a few walkers before he
ended up with the one he has. BUT, if there had been any way to keep
this mare from stumbling, I probably would have kept her and ridden
her at the
walk and canter, since she had the most comfortable canter I have
ever ridden!

I found the orignal posters message to be quite condescending-and
have to agree with Tina that you won't get converts by slamming
another breed. Everyone likes something different! Perhaps some
day, I WILL run into a really nice gaited horse. While I like my
bargain Arab/TWH, I cannot say that the cross is really exceptional!
I have seen some Arab/Appy crosses that are every bit as tough!
I also agree with another poster who mentioned seeing Rocky Mountain
Horses that greatly differed in conformation and size. I have also
noticed this in Walkers and Foxtrotters, and have seen some apalling
conformation in these breeds.

Karen

To: fourhorn@mail.fia.net

To: RIDECAMP@ENDURANCE.NET