ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: What to pack?

Re: What to pack?

Susan F. Evans (suendavid@worldnet.att.net)
Thu, 06 Mar 1997 13:10:56 -0800

paddi wrote:

> Food for thought.
> I carry a very small survival kit in my fanny pack. It consists of
> waterproof matches, small piece fire starter, one of those silver space
> blankets, water purifing tablets ,bullion pack. The entire kit wieghs
> next to nothing.
> I also carry wire cutters.
> Hopefully I will never need them but like a boy scout I want to be
> prepared.
> It could take hours if someone is injured on the trail for help to get
> to them. Warmth and a fire can make the difference.
> Paddi

I'm with you, Paddi. Although I don't carry it at rides, I carry it
with me at home, especially lately since I've started trailering out
(always alone) to some pretty remote and nasty (and high
altitude) trails. I carry all of the above, plus a Power Bar or two, a
small first-aid kit that also covers the horse's needs, a whistle, a
tiny flashlight, a bit of candle (same as a match and burns longer if
you're goofing around trying to get a fire started), and an extra liter
of water---all of which is carried on ME, not the horse (none of it is
going to help you much if it's on the horse and he decides to leave you
on your own). I learned all this Recommended Stuff to Carry after doing
one of those Outward Bound survival expedition things a few years ago
(and boy, isn't THAT a story---sometime ask me about the Death March To
Minnesota) David's latest toy addition for me is a tiny automatic
strobe, the kind the Navy attaches to life jackets to attract search and
rescue. All of this does weigh about two pounds and is possibly
overkill, but better safe than sorry. Some people look at all this a
little funny, but the rangers go into ecstasies, so I guess bad things
do happen out there.

As usual, just my two cents...

Susan