ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Fashion and "The Market"

Re: Fashion and "The Market"

tina hicks (hickst@puzzler.nichols.com)
Wed, 05 Mar 1997 14:53:07 -0600

At 11:26 AM 3/5/97 -0500, SandyDSA@aol.com wrote:

I keep scratching
>my head wondering why it is that endurance riders invariably want a really
>inexpensive horse to perform the most demanding of feats.
Well after being around Arabs and this sport just for a year I don't think
completing a ride is a demanding feet for alot of Arabs (go ahead -- send
your searing emails to hickst@nichols.com<g>) - there are just too many that
do it with ease. I didn't say it isn't *something* cause it IS - but it's a
heck of a lot easier for my Arab to go 50 miles than it is to train for a
4th level test - that may not be true for your horses or the others on this
list but it is for my guy and many, many others I see and know.

I do agree that the time and effort and training it takes to put out a horse
that goes nicely and sanely down the trail and is sound is no LESS worth XX
dollars than one that goes down the centerline and halts at X but I feel the
other part of the equation is money and the public's perception of what it's
worth.

The horses that demand the prices are for those sports where you have money
as a prize, right (where is Teddy espousing about the evils?? <g>) - those
horses that mince around the showring are often at vendor sponsored rides
with lots of spectators. Our sport is not seen as a high dollar sport so the
animals don't command those kinds of prices I think.

On the other side of the coin that is what makes this sport so "Do-Able" -
you don't have to spend big bucks on a specific type, breed, bloodline, or
trainer to do well - tho show me a top endurance rider that doesn't have
access to above average resources.

Tina