ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Using Your Yearbook

Re: Using Your Yearbook

Susan F. Evans (suendavid@worldnet.att.net)
Wed, 05 Mar 1997 15:24:48 -0800

ROBERT J MORRIS wrote:

> -- [ From: ROBERT J MORRIS * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --
>
> Julie:
>
> You are so right in your statement <<In a way I think it is shame to see so
> many people wanting a mile by mile description of a ride before they go to
> it. Where is the adventure if you know what is around every corner.?
>> It
> seems that people now want to know all the details including how long THEY
> will be out on the trail. Everything MUST be planned down to the minute.

Speaking ONLY for myself, I don't need to know every mile of the trail
or to lose the adventure of riding someplace new---but I do appreciate
knowing that a ride can get cold suddenly (therefore it's not a big deal
to be prepared with an extra blanket or a rump rug) or that the road
into camp is extremely narrow and twisty (I pull an 18,000 trailer in
excess of 40' long and finding out that you're about to go over the edge
of a cliff isn't Adventure, in my book). I guess I'm a little confused
as to why being told that the trail is rocky and watch out for
mountain lions is any different from being told to bring your own people
water and that the nearest gas station is 50 miles away.

I truly admire those who can and do face and beat every obstacle and
tribulation on the trail. Me, I have to be extremely careful with my
resources, which in my case includes time, money and my horse, all of
which are merely finite in some categories and damned scarce in others.
Asking for info and comments about a ride (for me) isn't any different
than poking through old yearbooks, as Julie wisely suggested, and which
I do. I don't need to be told or guarenteed how my day is going to go,
but for me, forewarned is forearmed and only leads to careful planning,
not a loss of adventure, fun or success.

Just my two cents, of course.

Susan Evans