ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Lame Horse (Need Advice)

Re: Lame Horse (Need Advice)

Ramey Peticolas-Stroud (ramey@wvi.com)
Tue, 04 Mar 1997 08:30:03 +0000

L Eisele wrote:

> Ramey, I appreciate your tips on soreness in the hip area and after
> reading your post, got my Jack Meager book on muscle soreness out to
> locate the gluteals and longdissimus muscles.
>
> I tried the pressure as you suggested and was surprised when he hung his
> head and acted like he didn't mind it. I could only get in 2 min. worth
> and will have to work up to 10 min.

That's a great start, and you were sensitive enough to quite while the
session was still relaxed. He hung his head because you probably
interupted the muscles in spasm which reduced pain or tension. Thanks
the whole idea, initially.

> After awhile he wanted to move away, so I kept the first session short.

One way to extend the session is after he moves away, go to light
cross-fiber message along the belly of the muscle for a few minutes to
relax you and your horse. Then return to the direct pressure as
before. Be patient.

> You mentioned applying something to the muscles to warm them first.
> Would absobine linament work?

Yes, it and other similar products will work. We prefer to make our own
from homeopathic substances in a lavender oil base. In any case,
somehow warm the product to about 105F before using it. Be careful if
it has an alcohol base --NO OPEN FLAME-- You know a lot of that stuff is
flammable. We use a small microwave near our therapy stall. The reason
for the heating is we avoid applying any cold substance to the muscle
which might cause an involuntary reaction/contraction. Your goal is to
relax and lenghten, remember.

> Also you suggested exercise following the massage or pressure session.
> Is that to get him to use the muscles while they are lose?

Yes, in the sense of range-of-motion and stretching. Jim Pascucci, our
resident E-Net Rolfer can probably explain the body map that you are
trying to reestablish.

> My last question...when I first noticed my horse dipping alittle whn
> touching that area, I asked a vet and she said it was a normal
> stretching reflex, a saddle fitter who seems to know about soreness
> said the same thing. Yet, when I took my horse to a chiroparcter and an
> acupuncturist, both said hip sore. My horse was terribly cold backed
> when I had him first broke. Any ideas on above comments?

Jim addressed the involuntary response to stress and pain in an earlier
post. Basically, Sareei is doing what all mammels do when threatened
with perceived injury-- they flinch, this is also called "guarding."
When the muscles are already sore, the guarding reflex is hightened.
Once the soreness and the initial cause has been eliminated, the muscles
will become less reactive and able to absorb energy more comfortably.
This is why the response to you hands is a good indicator of injury or
wellness.

> I feel there is something going on and am willing to try to relieve this > soreness as I don't believe this is a reflex reaction...our 2 other horses > don't react that way.

Same answer as above. Keep "Feeling," but use more than just your
hands. You may be pleasantly suprised at how much information you will
get by being open to ALL impressions. That's why a quite, protected
place is often as important as the talents of the therapist.

Good Luck,

Ramey and Cynthia Peticolas-Stroud