ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Kenilworth Ride by an American visitor

Re: Kenilworth Ride by an American visitor

BP&A (scuba@b022.aone.net.au)
Tue, 04 Mar 1997 15:21:36 +1000

K S Swigart wrote:

> Since one of the reasons that checkpoint operators take numbers of riders
> as they go by is to ensure that nobody is cheating by shortcutting the
> trail (at least here in the US that is what the AERC recommends), this
> token system allows for the possibility of the number on the token not
> being the same as the number on the horse. Unlikely, I know, but still
> possible.
>
> This is why number checkers should do more than just ask a rider for
> their number. They should at least make some attemp to decipher the
> number on the horse, and be sure that they are the same.
>
> This, of course, does not keep people from changing riders during the
> course of the ride, but at least you know that the same horse made the
> whole trip.
>
> kat
> Orange County, Calif.

As we don't number the horses here it is not a problem. The token
number corresponds to the rider's number. The tokens are checked off
back at base so that the organisers know where every horse is.

I have heard of people trying to shortcut but never changing horses. Is
that a problem in the US??

Anne