ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Kenilworth Ride by an American visitor

Re: Kenilworth Ride by an American visitor

K S Swigart (katswig@deltanet.com)
Mon, 3 Mar 1997 15:28:31 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 4 Mar 1997, BP&A wrote:

> The tokens are on a string which the rider either wears around the neck
> or attached to the vest. Each token has the rider number on. At a
> checkpoint the rider detaches a token (just pulls it off) and throws it
> in a bin. That way the checkpoint operators don't have to record
> numbers. After the riders leave the checkpoint, the tokens are gathered
> and the numbers radioed to base.

Since one of the reasons that checkpoint operators take numbers of riders
as they go by is to ensure that nobody is cheating by shortcutting the
trail (at least here in the US that is what the AERC recommends), this
token system allows for the possibility of the number on the token not
being the same as the number on the horse. Unlikely, I know, but still
possible.

This is why number checkers should do more than just ask a rider for
their number. They should at least make some attemp to decipher the
number on the horse, and be sure that they are the same.

This, of course, does not keep people from changing riders during the
course of the ride, but at least you know that the same horse made the
whole trip.

kat
Orange County, Calif.